Sunday, April 18, 2010

Motivated

Shortly after Carson turned 1, I started planning his "big boy" room. I really wanted something he could grow into and finally decided on a Surfer Boy theme. I searched on- line for the perfect bedding but wasn't finding anything I LOVED. I kinda just forgot about it, until today (back to bedding in a few).

After reading a friends blog yesterday I became inspired to craft up a few things she had done. The first was a chalkboard plate that she kept in her kitchen for special messages. The picture she posted was from her sons 1st birthday. It was so cute and seemed so easy to make. Today my goal was to make that plate. I started my search at Home Goods but didnt find any plates that were super cheap or the right shape and size. I just love that store so I decided to walk around. I found myself in the Children Decor section and lone behold I found... THE PERFECT SURFER BOY BEDDING!!!! It was exactly what I was looking for. I just had to have it. I called Greg to make sure I could buy it and he said "go for it" so you better believe I did! I walked around a little more and came across the perfect picture for his room that matched the theme. Again, I called Greg to tell him about the perfect picture and he said I could get it as well. I just love that he lets me shop :) I decided it was time for me to leave Home Goods and move on to the next store to find the perfect plate.
Next I went to Ross. I found a plate for $3.99 and I loved the shape so I got it and headed straight to Jo-Anns for the chalkboard paint and anything else I could find.
Once I got home I showed Greg all of my wonderful finds and he really liked the bedding and picture for Carson's room. When I showed him the plate he pointed out something that would have been good to know BEFORE buying the plate... it had a grooved texture that would be hard write on. Ugh, back to Ross I went. Long story short I found the perfect plate. I couldnt wait to get started. Here are some pictures of the steps:



Taped the sides for a cleaner look.


All finished and sitting on the cute stand I found. now I just need some chalk.


For all of you who are wondering about the bedding and picture for Carson's "big boy" surfer room here you go:



Hopefully over the next few weeks I can finish transforming his room. Next step is spray painting an old shelf that we have had in the garage for years and making new letters either saying his name or 'Surfs Up', I cant decide.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mollie! I Love your Blog! Already put it on my blogroll on my page. Craft Away! I'm so excited I know someone other than me that LOVES crafts!I find them all in the bloggy world! Sometimes I just get so engulfed I have to drag myself away b/c I want to do everything! Carson is super cute--can't wait to see his finished bedroom!!

    ReplyDelete