Monday, April 12, 2010

Leap of Faith...

This year I have been lucky enough to work with an amazing group of teachers. Not only are these teachers an inspiration because of their teaching abilities but also because of their faith. Growing up I never went to church and religion was not really discussed in our house. My mom grew up in a Catholic household and went to an all girls Catholic school. My dad grew up in a Jewish household. When my parents got married they agreed that all boys would have to practice the Jewish religion and must be bar mitzvah'ed at age 13 so they could carry on the last name and religion. Seeing as how I am not a boy, I did not have to go to Hebrew school.
After working with these amazing women and I hear about how strong their faith is it makes me wonder... what did Jesus really do? Is the Bible true? Could someone really do all of those things? I would love to have a strong faith, but since I have been without this knowledge for so long I think it is harder to begin believing. I have really been thinking about Carson and his future. I really want Carson to grow up having a strong faith in God because I feel children who do, grow up to be strong, successful adults.
I talked to Greg in December about going to church and he was all for it. Since we had not been for about 3 years (we used to go with Greg's parents before we were married), it was hard getting back into that routine. It wasn't until Easter weekend I made the decision that today was the day. My good friend and co-worker, Rachel, invited us to come with her and her family and I was really excited. Rachel's son Dawson is Carson's age and I knew they would have fun together playing in their class. We went back to church again this past week because I was really looking forward to their message over the next few weeks which is Revolutionary Parenting. Just after the first week I have learned so much. I am really looking forward to the next few weeks and hope I learn a lot more.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mollie,
    I read a saying that goes, "God enters everyone's life through a private door." Follow your heart and listen to what feels right to you. My guess is that whatever religion you choose, you will agree with some of what is taught and disagree with other parts. I hope you continue to build your relationship with God through study and following where your heart takes you. Any church offers community and belonging which is what I am so sorry you missed. I believe you can find that community and belonging where ever you go, but your spirituality you will find through study and self-reflection. You are so wise and I am so proud of the person you have become.

    ReplyDelete