Thursday, July 29, 2010

Back to School Crafts




So about a week or so ago I got the idea to make gifts for my new team members at school. I have been wanting to Mod Podge clipboards since I received one as a gift in February from a student. I already had most of the materials, but I did need some more ribbon and 2 more clipboards so off to Walmart I went at 10:30 at night. While I was there I saw super cute wooden letters and thought I could Mod Podge those as well, bu this time I would make them for my old teammates in kindergarten. Walmart is my new favorite place to go to for craft supplies. Although their selection is limited, they do have great prices on what they do have.
Anyways, back to the crafts. I started crafting as soon as I got home and I was up until 2am. I decided to start with the letters so I picked out some scrapbook paper from my stash. I traced the letter on the paper. Be sure to trace on the back of the paper AND you must turn the letter so that the front of the letter is down on the paper or else it wont match up. Then I painted the sides of the letter with a coordinating color to the paper used. Once the paint was dry I "painted" a light layer of Mod Podge on the top of the letter and carefully placed the paper on the letter. I then "painted" an even layer of Mod Podge over the paper and the sides of the letter. I had to do about 2 coats to make it even. Be aware that you may get a few ripples in the paper when putting the top layer of Mod Podge on the paper. I freaked out and tried very hard to smooth it out, but once it dried the ripples were gone.
When everything was dry, I used ribbon and some bling to embellish it a little.

*Here's a tip: after reading the internet and watching a few you tube videos I found out that it is best to let the paper and first layer of Mod Podge (under the paper) dry over night before putting the top layer of Mod Podge on top of the paper.

Here is a picture of a few letters I made for some great friends and fellow teachers: (I dont know why it is sideways, it is not saved that way on my computer)






Now on to the clipboards!
I pretty much did the same steps for the clipboards as I did for the letters. I forgot to take pictures of the final products, but I am in the process of making another one and I will be sure to take pictures and post them.

No comments:

Post a Comment